Regular Meeting

                                                                                                            September 19, 2007

                                                                                                            Hollis-Brookline Middle School

 

 

Tom Enright, Chairperson

James O’Shea, MD

Dan Peterson

Webb Scales

Steve Simons

Tom Solon

Janice Tremblay

 

 

Richard Pike, Superintendent of Schools

Tim Kelley, Principal, Hollis-Brookline High School

Pat Goyette, Principal, Hollis-Brookline Middle School

Dawna Duhamel, Business Administrator

Lauren Jacobi, Student Representative

Betsy A. Packard, Recording Secretary 

 

 

Others present included members of the Public.

 

Chairperson Tom Enright called the meeting to order at 6:10 p.m.

 

1.         INTRODUCTION OF NEW BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR, DAWNA DUHAMEL

 

Supt. Pike introduced Dawna Duhamel, the new Business Administrator, and welcomed her to the SAU.

 

2.         MINUTES

 

August 8, 2007

 

Mr. Simons asked for clarity regarding the 4th paragraph under Item #7 – Middle School Special Education Coordinator, in which it talked about a “difference of $14,000 for the new position, with use of the $10,000.”  Ms. Goyette explained that the $10,000 was in the 1200 account.  Supt. Pike added that only the difference of $4,000 had to be found in the budget, that there already was $10,000 in the stipend account.

 

Steve Simons moved that the Board accept the minutes of August 8, 2007 as corrected.  Janice Tremblay seconded.

 

Ms. Goyette stated that in the first paragraph of Item #7, it stated, “they had postponed looking at a Special Education assistant.”  Ms. Goyette explained that the position is a part-time Building Coordinator, and asked that the word “assistant” be removed from all instances in Item #7, and be replaced with “part-time Building Coordinator.”

 

Motion carried.  5 – 0 – 2  (Scales, O’Shea abstained.)

 

 

3.         CORRESPONDENCE

 

Chair. Enright informed the Board that he had received a letter from the Support Staff stating their desire to open negotiations.

 

4.         OPEN FORM

 

None.

 

5.         CURRICULUM DIRECTOR’S REPORT

 

 

Ms. Mace informed the Board that they had a copy of her report in their packets. 

 

AYP – Adequate Yearly Progress

 

Ms. Mace explained that AYP is a requirement of No Child Left Behind (NCLB).  AYP is determined by the progress made on NECAP tests.  Ms. Mace reported that both the Middle School and the High School made AYP in all areas.  She further explained that schools are looked at as a whole and as sub-groups.  She added that in the High School the assessment was based on the graduation rate, which the High School met.

 

Mr. Peterson asked if there was any area that Ms. Mace was concerned about.  Ms. Mace responded that as in most schools within the State, an area of worry is the Special Education sub-group.  By the year 2013, all sub-groups need to be in the Proficient range, which will be very difficult.

 

Mr. Solon questioned the “target index value.”  Ms. Mace explained that this is when a group tests too close to the “target index value” that it is too difficult to determine if they are truly below target or not.  Mr. Solon wondered what the interval or range was.  Ms. Mace stated that the Dept. of Education has a chart that gives the ranges.  She explained the smaller the cohort, the smaller the range.

 

Mr. Simons questioned what the “participation rate” and the “assessment rate” were.  Ms. Mace explained that the “participation rate” is the number of students that took the test.  The “assessment rate” is data that is turned into the State during the year.

 

Mr. Scales asked how the other districts in the SAU did.  Ms. Mace responded that the Hollis Elementary School didn’t make AYP for a sub-grouping in reading.  When a sub-group doesn’t make AYP, then the whole school doesn’t make AYP.  Overall, Hollis Primary School did well.  The cohort that didn’t make AYP is now at the Hollis Upper Elementary School.  She explained that they were looking at old data.

 

Mr. Scales pointed out that the same cohort would be moving to the Middle School.  He wondered what it would mean for the Middle School.  Ms. Mace responded that the District didn’t wait for the reports to come out, and they have already started working with the students who didn’t make Proficient levels.  Mr. Scales asked if the cohort would lower the “standards” for the Middle School, once they get there.  Ms. Mace responded that it was hard to say.  Ms. Goyette felt that the software they purchased will help out, as they will have much more information, so they hope to address many of the deficient skills as students go through.

 

Ms. Mace stated that the target will be increasing, so it will be hard to meet.  Schools need to be at 100% by the year 2013.  Currently, the District is at 83%, therefore it will get harder to meet.

 

Mr. Solon asked if the baseline was for meeting Proficient, that is 100% of the students have to be Proficient.  Ms. Mace confirmed that 100% of the student body must be Proficient by the year 2013.

 

Follow the Child Growth Reports

 

Ms. Mace explained that “Follow the Child Growth Model” is a pilot program of the NH Department of Education.  The model was submitted to the US Dept of Education to replace the Federal AYP accountability system, but was rejected.  However, the State likes the approach of this model, so they are encouraging districts to use it.  Ms. Mace informed the Board that she has a speaker lined up for a presentation regarding this new model.

 

Professional Staff Evaluation Update

 

Ms. Mace reported that the Professional Staff Evaluation is being done in two phases.  This year, they are developing the process and procedures.  Next year they will develop the training.

 

Ms. Mace reminded the Board that they had planned on using Educational Testing Service (ETS) Pathwise program.  However, she received an email stating that ETS was no longer providing contracted services.  Ms. Mace stated that she contacted Charlotte Danielson, who gave her a list of names of consultants that conduct this training.  Ms. Mace added that she knew three of the people on the list.  She has selected Bernie Cleland from Montpelier, VT to do the training.  Ms. Mace felt that it all worked out for the District’s benefit, as they will be getting more customized training.

 

Chair. Enright asked if any other boards had endorsed it?  Dr. O’Shea stated that all three districts bought into it.  Ms. Mace concurred.  Dr. O’Shea asked if there would be any changes to the budget.  Ms. Mace responded that she was working on the costs for each district.  Dr. O’Shea asked if this would cause any changes to the collective bargaining?  Ms. Mace didn’t feel it would be a problem.  Chair. Enright stated that he was not sure that it was an employee prerogative, but rather the management’s.

 

6.         BUDGET COMMITTEE GUIDELINES

 

Mr. Peterson reported that the latest Budget Committee thoughts were the same as last year – adding the CPI (less than 2%) and the increase in student population together, which would be about a 3% increase.

 

Chair. Enright asked if there were any exclusions or inclusions.  Mr. Peterson responded that it included contracts, but excluded Special Education and Bonds.  Mr. Peterson wondered if there was any interest of the Board to have a joint meeting with the Budget Committee.  He felt such a meeting should be held before the next Board meeting (October 17th).  Mr. Peterson added that he would coordinate such a meeting, if the Board felt it was necessary.  Chair. Enright agreed that such a meeting should be held.  Supt. Pike asked if the meeting would result in the Budget Committee giving the Board their final guidelines.  Mr. Peterson felt that they probably wouldn’t get the Budget Committee’s final guidelines, as the Committee would probably want one more meeting on their own.  Supt. Pike felt they should also set a date for the District Meeting.   Mr. Scales felt that the two Boards should set on a budget calendar, with milestones.

 

Chair. Enright felt that the Board needed to give the Budget Committee guidelines early on, and he would like to do it now, adding that he didn’t want to see another 9% –12% budget.

 

Mr. Peterson felt that the Budget Committee would set the guidelines around 2.5% - 3.5%, and didn’t see much of a change from that.  Chair. Enright felt that it was better to come in with a budget of 3% - 4% total, and that it was better to add to the bottom line than have to tear it down like last year.  Mr. Simons felt they should go with 4%.  Mr. Peterson felt it would be better to go with 3%, as did Ms. Tremblay and Mr. Solon.  Supt. Pike stated that they should go with a 3% guideline on the operating budget, but not on negotiations.  Chair. Enright stated that Ms. Duhamel could calculate the professional contracts as they have an agreement with the professional staff.  He felt that Ms. Duhamel could come close regarding the support staff.  Chair. Enright stated that he sees a 3% total increase for both schools, not a 3% increase for the Middle School and a 3% increase for the High School.  The 3% would exclude Special Education, principle and interest on bonds, and transfers.

 

Dr. O’Shea stated that he would be uncomfortable with a 3% increase if the contract with the teachers is 4%.  Chair. Enright stated that he meant to get that information and bring it with him.  He added that he would get it.  He stated that basically, it would be last year’s number with a slight delta for contracts.

 

Mr. Scales stated that he was concerned even if it was at 3%, if the Budget Committee comes in below 3%, it will be difficult.  He felt it was easier to add in to the budget than to take out.  Chair. Enright stated that it was important to him to get a document that would go slightly up or down.

 

Mr. Peterson stated that it was the intention of the Budget Committee to take out warrant articles (such as technology) because they looked at the articles as one time warrant articles.

 

Mr. Scales stated that he would be willing to go 3%, but would prefer to go 2.5% and have a wish list.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that if the professional staff contract is 3%, then the message he must give to his department heads is to cut last year’s budget.  He also wondered what the baseline number was that they will be using.  He wondered if they would be taking out the warrant articles, thus an $18 million budget last year, less $100,000 for technology.  Mr. Peterson stated that it would be $18 million taking out Special Education, Bonds, technology, transfers, then take what was left and add 3%.  Mr. Kelley stated that the contract would take up the 3%.

 

Chair. Enright asked that Ms. Duhamel develop a spreadsheet deleting the above-mentioned items and then adding in the 3%.  He added that he would be willing to work with her on the spreadsheet.

 

Supt. Pike asked if the Budget Committee had historically looked at warrant articles.  Mr. Peterson felt that the budget would operate like last year with separate warrant articles for large ticket items.  He felt it was too complicated for the Board and the general public to understand – taking away from here, adding there.  Mr. Peterson felt that it should be left up to the voters to decide how much they want to spend.

 

Mr. Scales pointed out that the Budget Committee will present a number at the District Meeting, and then the voters must stay within 10% of that number.  If the Budget Committee comes in too low, and the 10% is voted in just to meet the Board’s number, then the voters can’t do anything else.

 

Dr. O’Shea pointed out that the Hollis School District uses warrant articles for new programs.  He added that the technology articles would be needed as a continuing program, not as a new program.  He felt that warrant articles are for new programs, not an on-going need.  Mr. Scale stated that they have done it both ways.  Last year they needed funds for technology, but couldn’t put it in the budget and still meet the Budget Committee’s goal.  Mr. Simons pointed out that in the past they did new programs as warrant articles so they could present it to the voters.  Mr. Scales added that last year it was pretty clear that the technology article was for an on-going program.  Mr. Peterson pointed out that last year was the 5th year of the plan at the Middle School, while the High School was on going.  Adding in the need for new servers and computers, the technology needs were large.  Mr. Kelley pointed out that it was a big hit last year; so hopefully, it won’t be so bad this year.  Mr. Scales pointed out that if the District comes in with a 0% increase in the budget, it won’t have any line item for technology, so they will need another warrant article.   Mr. Kelley stated that his bigger concerns were the fuel, electricity, etc. increases.

 

Ms. Goyette asked what numbers they would use for the enrollment figures and wondered if they would use the NSDEC figures.  Chair. Enright stated that he had some projections.  Assuming that the numbers being used are good, then enrollment predictions should be pretty close for 5 years out.

 

Ms. Goyette pointed out that in two years the Middle School is looking at 494.  She wondered how they should handle the numbers.  With current staff, they would have class sizes larger than seen at the Middle School.  She pointed out that they have the space at the Middle School, but not the funds for the added staff.

 

Chair. Enright pointed out that October 1st is the official reporting date for enrollment numbers, which is always different from opening day numbers.

 

Mr. Kelley pointed out that the 2009-2010 numbers at the Middle School are high, but not so at the High School.  Mr. Peterson added that the High School currently had a bubble going through.

 

Chair. Enright stated that Ms. Goyette had a good point.  The Board needs to think if they should go with added staff during the bubble or just endure the bubble.  He added that Ms. Goyette needed to do some projections of class size, and the Board will then have these discussions.

 

Mr. Solon asked what the rationale was for the numbers presented and wondered how they arrived at the figures.  Supt. Pike stated that he has a document that he can get to the Board as how the NESDC does their projections.

 

7.         PRINCIPALS’ REPORTS

 

High School

 

Mr. Kelley reported that the opening of school went very well.  Estimated enrollment is currently over 900 students.  Open House has been moved up to 6:30 p.m.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that the space in the building is crowded.  The mini cafeteria is being used for a classroom 4 periods a day, and all classrooms are used 5 out of the 7 periods.  The cafeteria lunch line is usually completed with approximately 10-15 minutes left.  Everyone is getting served, but seating is a problem.  Currently, during the nice weather, 70 people are eating outside.  There are 300 students in each lunch period.  The mini cafeteria is used for lunches, then afterwards for classroom space.  Seating will be a problem when cold weather comes.

 

Mr. Kelley reported that they have increased the pass time between classes by one minute.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that parking is tight.  Sixty-eight spaces were assigned to the junior class.  There are approximately 250 spaces total.  He added that they will sell more spaces as the year goes on and the sophomores get their licenses.  The funds from the parking permits will be used for security cameras and to repair sink holes in the parking lots, as well as to create more parking spaces for the staff in the front parking lot.

 

Mr. Kelley reported that in regards to student achievements, there were three National Merit Semifinalists.  Out of 267 Advanced Placement tests given, forty-nine students achieved a perfect score.  Four students have achieved perfect scores (800) on the SATs. 

 

Mr. Simons asked about class sizes, whether they are large or not.  Mr. Kelley reported that he is pleased with class sizes.  Chair. Enright asked that Mr. Kelley give a class size report at the next meeting.  Mr. Kelley agreed.

 

Dr. O’Shea asked if there were any complaints or dissatisfaction from students and/or parents regarding courses they couldn’t get into.  Mr. Kelley responded there were some students that were disappointed.  However, it didn’t do with class size, but rather with scheduling conflicts.

 

Student Representative Report

 

Ms. Jacobi stated that some of her classes seem more full than in the past.  She felt that lunch will be a big issue when the cold weather comes.  Students are eating in the halls.  They are also starting to use classrooms for lunch, which is not good.  She also felt that parking will be an issue as the sophomores receive their licenses.

 

Chair. Enright questioned if juniors use 25% of the parking, then why aren’t they using the lower lot.  Mr. Kelley responded that next year, they may only allow juniors and seniors to drive to school.  The current sophomore class is large, as is the current junior class so next year parking will be a problem.  Chair. Enright pointed out that Nashua High School only allows seniors to drive.

 

Ms. Jacobi stated that some teachers don’t have their own classrooms.

 

Ms. Jacobi reported that they had an assembly, Rachel’s Challenge, on September 11th.  She felt that the assembly was successful and that the students took the presenter seriously.  She also felt that the assembly got a lot of dialogue going.

 

Mr. Simons stated that he hoped that they will put the expansion of the cafeteria/classrooms and parking lot on the agenda. He felt that the Board needed to talk about it.  Chair. Enright suggested that they put it on the agenda of the meeting with the Budget Committee, prior to the next Board meeting.

 

Dr. O’Shea felt that they should weigh in any big-ticket items at the next Board meeting.  He pointed out that they had already mentioned two:

 

1)       5th team at the Middle School

2)       Cafeteria/parking/classrooms

 

He felt they should talk with the Budget Committee about these issues so they won’t get surprised.

 

Chair. Enright stated that in regards to Ms. Jacobi’s report, he was going to the High School and see what it is like, especially at lunch time and during the changing of classes.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that he didn’t want students eating their lunches in the hallways because teachers are trying to teach in the classrooms; therefore, they have been using the lobby by the gym/auditorium.  The students have been good and they do monitor the area.

 

Mr. Simons stated that last year they talked about how long it took just to get through the lunch line.  Mr. Kelley responded that lunches are 25 minutes and there seems to be approximately 10-15 minutes left of the lunch time after everyone has gone through.  He added that he hadn’t seen students waiting for hot lunches, and he hasn’t heard, as he did last year, that students are not buying lunches because it took so long to get through the line.

 

Middle School

 

Ms. Goyette reported that two Back to School nights were held due to parking limitations.  The previous night was the 7th grade’s evening.  There was close to 90% participation.  It is felt that the current format should be kept.

 

Ms. Goyette informed the Board that there had been a smooth transition with the new staff.  Emails she has received from parents and staff have all been good.

 

Ms. Goyette reported that the Middle School will be holding their own Rachel’s Challenge assembly the next day.  She stated that she had a couple of students ask why they were celebrating Columbine.  She added that they will be presenting a different version from the High School’s assembly. The presentation will teach the students that every student is empowered to make a difference in their own life as well as others.  She stated that she was happy with the presentation.  She added that if parents have the option of not having their student participate.

 

Ms. Goyette explained that with the ITC Literacy standards, they can no longer teach technology as a pullout class, but must embed technology in all other classes.  Ms. Goyette stated that teachers are being asked to embed two applications (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and/or Web pages) into their classes, as well as integrating the evaluation of technology skills within their core evaluation.  Students will pick two samples for their electronic portfolio.  Students will no longer get ½ credit for technology, but will have to show proficiency.

 

Ms. Goyette informed the Board that a parent requesting to start a strings program has approached her.  It would be an after school program and participants would pay for it.  A criminal check has been done. 

 

Chair. Enright asked if she was requesting permission to have rehearsals, but if they don’t have a program, why rehearse?   Ms. Goyette responded that they would have a program, and thus need rehearsals.  They also would be a starter group for the High School program.

 

Mr. Solon asked about students that want to participate but don’t have the funds.  He wondered if there would be money available for them.  Ms. Goyette responded that she has some scholarship funds for other programs, so she would look into it.

 

Mr. Peterson asked that “school sponsored” be defined.  He felt that it was no different than the recreation program.  Chair. Enright responded that the football and hockey programs were examples.  He felt that Ms. Goyette was asking to be allowed to proceed with a survey.

 

Dan Peterson moved that the Board authorize Pat Goyette to move forward to study the enablement of a strings program including sending out a survey.  Webb Scales seconded.  Motion carried.  6 – 0 – 1 (Solon abstained.)

 

Ms. Goyette informed the Board that the survey clearly talked about students who have played strings before.  Therefore, she will need to talk to the instructor about new students.

 

8.         PRIMARY DAY VOTING

 

Chair. Enright introduced Melinda Willis, Chairman of the Hollis Board of Selectmen, to the Board members.  Chair. Enright reviewed the meeting that he had with the Board of Selectmen regarding Primary Day voting.  Dr. O’Shea and Mr. Kelley were also present.  Chair. Enright stated that there was some feedback that some Board members would like to hold classes while the voting is taking place.  Chair. Enright asked Mr. Kelley if he had a plan in which classes and voting could be held at the same time. 

 

Mr. Kelley informed the Board that the NH Presidential Primary is scheduled for January 8, 2008.  A big concern is to hold school while voting is going on.  He stated that he didn’t think it would be a big deal, but with media, candidate supporters, etc. parking will be an issue.  Mr. Kelley added that the heaviest traffic for school will be will at 7:00 – 7:50 a.m.  The polls open at 7:00 a.m., so he felt the traffic will also be heavy at that time for voting.

 

Mr. Kelley proposed the following:  Run school with a 2-hour delayed opening.  School would start at 9:15 a.m.  Teachers would come at the regular time for staff development.  Therefore, 7:00 a.m. would be faculty and voting traffic, and then students would arrive at 9:15 a.m.  The back parking lot would be closed to students.  They would have to park at the ball fields.  Jeff Smith Lane could be plowed wider and made one-way that day to allow for parking on the side.  Also, there is the option of having students park their cars at Nichols Field and run shuttle buses to the High School.  If students were told they couldn’t drive and were bussed instead, more buses would be needed.  Mr. Kelley stated that they would need extra police detail.

 

Mr. Kelley reminded the Board that last year it rained, so he suggested that they could have a tent set up in the courtyard by the gym.  He felt it would be a nice convenience for those waiting in line.

 

Chair. Enright stated that the back parking lot had about 280 spaces.  Mr. Kelley stated that 250 spaces would be for voters and people working the polls.  One row of spaces would be for teachers.

 

Dr. O’Shea asked who would pay for the tent, plowing, and the extra police detail.  Ms. Willis felt that the town could help out with some of the cost.  She felt that they could get the DPW to do the plowing.

 

Mr. Peterson pointed out that if they displace 250 students from the back parking lot, they would need to find area for them.  Mr. Kelley stated that they will announce to the students that the back parking lot will be closed in hopes that they might carpool that day.

 

Dr. O’Shea pointed out that the buses would need to run for the elementary schools at the regular time.    He wondered if that gave the bus drivers enough time to pick up the Middle School and High School students.  He also wondered if there would be any impact at the Middle School.  Ms. Goyette stated that there wouldn’t be any impact with advanced notice.    Mr. Kelley hoped that there would be enough time for the buses to make the second run.  He has mentioned it to Al Orde, but needs to give him specifics.

 

Chair. Enright pointed out that they already have the process in place, as it is the same process as a delayed opening.

 

Supt. Pike stated that once they have decided what course of action the Board wants to take, he will run it by Al Orde.

 

Mr. Solon asked if the proposed plan fulfilled the Selectmen’s needs.  Ms. Willis felt the proposed delayed opening was an excellent plan.

 

Mr. Simons stated that they will need to get information out to voters as to when not to vote, such as 9:15 when the buses will be arriving and when school gets out.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that they will need to keep voters out of the main gym.

 

Chair. Enright stated they would have use of the building from 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. and from 3:00 – 7 00 p.m.   He felt they needed to make sure that nothing is scheduled for that night, such as sports.

 

Supt. Pike asked if Mr. Kelley was sure of the date – January 8th.  Mr. Kelley stated that the date didn’t matter.  If they have a plan in place, they can implement it any day.  He added that basketball practice at the school that night would not be an issue.  It only becomes an issue if a game is scheduled.  Mr. Kelley added that they will be closed on 2008 election day.  It will be a teacher workshop day.

 

Ms. Willis felt it was an excellent plan.  She hoped that the Board would support it.  She added that they could work with getting information out to voters.  They can put information on the Selectmen’s website.  She suggested that they might be able to start voting at 6:30 a.m.  She pointed out that the “checkers” will need to set up the night before and do some last minute things in the morning.

 

Dan Peterson moved that Mr. Kelley proceed with planning on having a delayed opening on NH Primary Election Day and adjust parking such that no spaces will be allocated for student parking in the back parking lot.  Steve Simons seconded.

 

Ms. Jacobi felt that the parking issue might be complicated.  She felt that specific directions issued from Mr. Kelley will be needed.

 

Chair. Enright informed the Board that it is estimated that 400 cars per hour go though for voting.  He added that the Lawrence Barn cannot accommodate such numbers.  Ms. Willis concurred that the Lawrence Barn cannot accommodate parking and there is not enough space in the barn for voting.  She added that the Selectmen would like to keep the voting at the same place for all elections.  She stated that the High School has the largest parking facility of any facilities in town.

 

Dr. O’Shea questioned who would pay for the tent, plowing, bussing, and extra police.  Ms. Willis felt that the town could cover the costs of bussing and plowing.  She was not sure that the tent was necessary.  Mr. Simons felt if the voting booths were set up at the far end of the mini-gym, they could have the voter line weaving in through the building.  Mr. Kelley added that if they could only use the mini-gym doors and stay out of the main gym, it would be most helpful.

 

Motion carried unanimously.  7 – 0 – 0.

 

Mr. Peterson felt that a timeline/dates should be set where both the town and the school have an agreed upon plan.  He felt they should have a plan worked out by the November Board meeting.

 

Dr. O’Shea pointed out that some people have a problem getting to vote because their commute is so long.  He wondered if the polling hours could be extended to 7:30 – 8:00 p.m.  Ms. Willis stated that she would check with the Board of Selectmen.

 

9.         SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT

 

Supt. Pike stated that he had an action item for the Board.  He requested that the Board change the Professional Workshop Day from October 31st to November 1st. This would make the Workshop Day the same across the SAU districts.

 

Steve Simons moved that the Board move the Professional Workshop Day from October 31, 2007 to November 1, 2007.  Janice Tremblay seconded.  Motion carried unanimously.  7 – 0 – 0.

 

Supt. Pike stated that he attached the enrollment projections to his report.

 

Supt. Pike reported that he summarized the Bus Routing Software in his report.  He stated that they had looked at two different software – VersaTrans and Transfinder, which are the two major bus routing software products in the country.  The purpose of researching the software was to get a tool to help streamline the bus routes.  When looking at the software, he found that they are much more powerful tools than just routing buses.  The biggest advantage would be having all three districts buy into the software, and then when a new student comes in, it is interfaced into the district’s software, and the same would happen if a student withdraws.

 

Supt. Pike stated that while he was visiting Kennebunk Transportation in Kennebunk, ME to see Transfinder, he asked who manages their software.  He was told that they have a person that works 10-12 hours per week to manage and update the software.  Supt. Pike felt that the way to go was to have all the Boards look at it as a total package.

 

Mr. Scales questioned the need to have someone devote 10 – 12 hours per week maintaining the program.  Mr. Simons felt the first week or so might need someone devoting that amount of time to it, but afterwards, he felt it shouldn’t be required.  Supt. Pike stated that he talked specifically with the lady who managed the program for Kennebunk Transportation.  She stated that she averaged about 10 –12 hours per week.  He pointed out that it also does things like field trips.  Mr. Scales stated that he couldn’t image a wholesale change of bus routes during the year. 

 

Supt. Pike stated that if the District was only going to use the software for setting up bus routes, then he agreed that the cost of the software was not worth it.  However, the software also does things like bus maintenance, tracking drivers, etc.  Chair. Enright felt that bus maintenance and tracking drivers was the vendor’s responsibility. 

 

Mr. Solon wondered if there were vendors that would run the bus routes for the District.  He also wondered if the bus company would maintain the software. 

 

Mr. Simons asked if the $15,000 total was for all the districts. 

 

Supt. Pike stated that he did not ask the vendors if they would do a one shot routing for the District, as he was looking at purchasing the software at the time.  He added that what appealed to him was the fact that the software could interface with the secretary’s software.  A new student would immediately get assigned a bus route and it would go on the master list.

 

Mr. Simons asked if the District saved money getting rid of a bus.  Chair. Enright responded that they hadn’t.  He explained that it never happened.  They took money out of the budget for the reduction of a bus, but they never got rid of the bus.  Supt. Pike informed the Board that after reviewing all this, he sat with Al and Nancy Orde.  They stated that if the software wasn’t obtained, they would have to do it by hand.  Since the software has not been purchased, Al and Nancy didn’t feel they could arbitrarily cut a bus and make it work.

 

Chair. Enright felt that what was driving this issue was the elementary school.  He stated that he still maintains that the Coop District is running buses inefficiently.   He added that the Board made a decision, but didn’t follow through, so the budget is in the hole by approximately $15,000.  Mr. Scales stated that they had met with the Ordes and they agreed that if the Board presented them with new bus routes, they would cut a bus.  The Board didn’t present the routes, so a bus was not cut.

 

Supt. Pike stated that he liked Mr. Solon’s suggestion to approach the software vendors and see if they would do a one-time analysis.  Chair. Enright stated that he would also like more information as to how the 10 – 12 hours per week is being spent. 

 

Mr. Scales suggested that they tap into the National Regional Planning Commission.

 

11.        BOARD POLICY REVIEW

 

After looking at several policies, it was discovered that members had difference versions of the policies. 

 

Mr. Simons will email everyone the revised versions he has and the First Readings will be done at the next meeting.

 

12.        OTHER BUSINESS

 

Mr. Peterson asked what the status was of the football field and the scaffolding.  Mr. Kelley responded that coaches from the visiting teams were coming to the field and asking where their vantage point for taping was.  Mr. Kelley informed the Board that because of this, they purchased scaffolding for the other teams.  The scaffolding is put up and taken down for each game.  Ideally, they would like to build a press box above the stands.  Mr. Kelley presented this idea to the Board at the last meeting, but it seemed that the Board wasn’t too receptive to the idea.  Another idea is to create a deck on the refreshment stand. 

 

Mr. Kelley stated that he plans to have trees planted along Love Lane for a buffer.  He added that they need to work on this and try to be good neighbors.

 

Mr. Peterson asked what constraints they were facing.  Chair. Enright responded that the District didn’t have anything else approved for a permanent building.  He felt that the neighbors might complain.  He added that a press box was never planned for, and thus are new components.

 

Mr. Peterson stated that he was trying to understand what agreements there are with the abutters.  He added that he would like to know what they need to do to get something permanent, as he was uncomfortable with what they currently have.  Chair. Enright felt they should go to the Planning Director and find out what the District needed to do.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that when they put up the scoreboard, they were asked to plant a tree.  Therefore, he thought they should plant more trees along Love Lane.  Chair. Enright pointed out that the District was suppose to put up a screen of trees for one abutter, but they have not done it yet.

 

Mr. Simons stated that scaffolding on Love Lane would be would be high and would be seen.  Mr. Peterson stated that other fields have significantly more bleachers and a press box.  Mr. Simons asked if they were on both sides of the field.  Mr. Peterson responded that not always.

 

Mr. Kelley stated that he would like to get more bleachers for the Love Lane side, but wouldn’t put a press box on the Love Lane side.

 

Mr. Peterson asked who had drawings of the field.  Chair. Enright responded that he did and would be willing to spent time on this issue.

 

Mr. Kelley informed the Board that last week the visiting team wanted their own scaffolding, so they went out and bought a low one, which they will take down each time.

 

Mr. Peterson stated that his concern was a safety issue.  Mr. Kelley stated that was another reason why they got the second scaffolding because too many people were on the other one.

 

 

Steve Simons moved that the Board enter non-public session under the provisions of RSA 91-A:3 II (a) dismissal, promotion, or compensation of any public employee or the disciplining of such employee, and (c) reputation.  Webb Scales seconded.  A roll call vote was taken with all members present voting in the affirmative.   7 - 0 - 0.

 

The Board entered non-public at 8:58 p.m.