APPROVED:  3/29/06                                                                Hollis-Brookline Cooperative School Board

                                                                                                Regular Meeting

                                                                                                March 1, 2006

                                                                                                Hollis-Brookline Middle School

 

 

Pam Kirby, Chairperson

Anne Dumas

Tom Enright

Betty Hall

Jim Murphy

Dan Peterson, arrived at 5: 50 p.m.

Steve Simons

 

 

Richard Pike, Superintendent of Schools

Tim Kelley, Principal, Hollis-Brookline High School

Betsy A. Packard, Recording Secretary 

 

 

 

Chairperson Pam Kirby called the meeting to order at 5:40 p.m.

 

1.         CORRESPONDENCE

 

Mr. Kelley stated that he had received a letter of retirement from Zbigniew Glowacki.  “Dr. Z” has worked for the District for 20 years, and currently is the Library AV Technician.  Mr. Kelley stated that he was not sure at this point how he will restructure the position.

 

Mr. Enright pointed out that there are no retirement benefits.

 

Tom Enright moved that the Board accept Zbigniew Glowacki’s letter of retirement with regrets.  Anne Dumas seconded.  Motion carried unanimously.  6 – 0 – 0.

 

 

2.         FIELD TRIP

 

Mr. Kelley informed the Board that there was a field trip to the Dominican Republic being planned through the Spanish department.  He stated that several Coop students went on this same trip last year, however, it was piggy-backed with Souhegan High School.  He added that Souhegan awarded one (1) full credit for those students taking the trip.  He reported that he had just made a decision a couple of weeks ago to allow the credit to be transferred from Souhegan to the Coop students’ transcripts. 

 

Supt. Pike asked when the trip took place.  Mr. Kelley responded that it took place last summer.  He added that the credit was in Spanish.  He stated that Souhegan issued the credit, and they have transferred it over.  He explained that he has a problem with awarding a full credit, and would prefer it to be ½ credit. 

 

Chair. Kirby asked what kind of credit it was, adding that her children did ambassadorships  while they were in school, and they did not receive any credits for it.  Mr. Kelley responded that the students spent several weeks in the Dominican Republic and did do some classroom time.  He added that for such future trips, to receive credit, it  must be pre-approved.  He stated that he likes to look at the total number of hours of the trip and the C-Time (classroom hours) to determine the amount of credit given.  He added that he would bring in all the paperwork for the trip at the March 29th meeting.

 

Mr. Enright stated that students receiving credit for a summer program and the School Board not knowing about it blew his mind.  Mr. Kelley responded that there are several students that take summer programs (remedial and otherwise) and receive credit, such as the students that participate in the Johns Hopkins program. He added that all programs need to be pre-approved for credit.

 

Ms. Hall felt this should be in a policy.  Mr. Kelley responded that it was a procedure.

 

Mr. Simons stated that he thought the trip was a field trip, which the students do not receive credit for.  However, he felt the Dominican Republic trip was different.

 

3.         WARRANT

 

Chair. Kirby will be meeting with Jim Belanger, Moderator of the Coop District, and Forrest Milkoswki on Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. to go over the warrant.

 

Mr. Murphy advised the Board that he found the old warrant from last year on the website, and stated that this year’s warrant should be there instead.

 

The Board reviewed the following warrant articles:

 

1.                   Cafeteria/Parking Bond - $1.4 million

 

Dan Peterson will move the article.

Anne Dumas will second it.

 

Estimated Time:  15 minutes

 

Mr. Peterson will speak to the article and do a PowerPoint presentation.  Mr. Murphy stated he would forward the presentation to Mr. Peterson.  Mr. Peterson will add the feedback they got from the public to the presentation.

 

Mr. Simons stated that Lavallee/Brensinger Architects have prepared some boards for them, so they can put them up on easels for the voters to see.

 

Mr. Murphy felt that when they discuss the future, they should talk in enrollment numbers rather than by dates.  He felt they should state that when the enrollment reaches a certain point, then they will need to add on.  He added that they should be cautious about making a leap of more than 1 or 2 years out.  He felt they needed to drive the discussion to trigger on enrollment.

 

Ms. Kirby pointed out that even enrollment numbers are only good for a few years out.  Mr. Murphy added that the enrollment numbers have to be readjusted.

 

Ms. Hall stated that when the Board talks about enrollment numbers and the need for facility improvements at a certain point in time, they need to make the caveat that that is their best estimate.

 

Mr. Peterson felt that the Coop was OK until Hollis population reached about 9000, and they are currently at 7200.

 

Supt. Pike asked if what really needed to be discussed was the core number for the cafeteria.  Mr. Peterson responded that he will talk about that.

 

Mr. Peterson asked if the bottom floor underneath was adaptable.  Mr. Simons responded that it was just for storage.  Mr. Peterson stated that if they could put a room down there for the Senior Citizens, they would make great points.  Mr. Simons explained that when the renovations were being designed, they were told that it would be just as cheap to bring the foundation down and make it hollow and use it for storage, as it would be to bring in fill and put a pad down.  Mr. Simons felt it would be expensive to add heat, etc., to convert the area into a room, and he questioned why the Coop should be doing that.

 

Mr. Murphy felt that creating such a room may not be such a good thing for Brookline, if at some future date the Coop should split.  Chair. Kirby felt that it would be great for both communities to have a common room, despite what may happen in the future.

 

Mr. Simons stated that he would find out how much it would cost to convert the storage area into a room by adding doors, windows, heat, and a bathroom.

 

2.                   Professional Staff - $295,533

 

Jim Murphy will move the article.

Tom Enright will second it.

 

Mr. Simons stated that in regards to the Support Staff, the negotiations fell down on two points:  RIFF Policy and Insurance.  Mr. Murphy stated that they had done everything they could, but the Support Staff didn’t accept it.

 

Chair. Kirby stated that if this question comes up, then either she or Mr. Simons will speak to it.  Supt. Pike suggested that Chair. Kirby ask Mr. Belanger when it would be appropriate to discuss this issue.

 

3.                   School Resource Officer - $ 41,495, representing 54% share of total cost

 

Tom Enright will move the article.

Steve Simons will second it.

 

Mr. Enright will present the data and explain why the Coop is responsible for 54% of the total cost, and how they came up with that figure.  Mr. Kelley will present why they need the School Resource Officer.

 

Mr. Peterson felt that the most difficult thing to address is a police officer being in the school and the drug issue.

 

Mr. Murphy voiced his concerns about the statement in the Hollis/Brookline Journal that no one cares about the drug problem in the Coop.  He stated that he disagreed.  He felt they needed to acknowledge that they are concerned about the use of drugs in our community.  He felt that they should say “community” instead of “school.”

 

Mr. Kelley stated that they had talked about this issue in a faculty staff meeting.  One of the public’s biggest issues is that of safety in the bathrooms.  Mr. Kelley stated that the bathrooms are safe.  He added that some students are concerned about the statements that were made, therefore, he may have some students talk to the issues.  He added that he didn’t want to paint a picture that this was out of control, because it isn’t.

 

Mr. Murphy felt that the next time a person makes a statement to the press, they should visit the school and talk to Board members, the Administration, and Staff at the school.  Chair. Kirby agreed, and felt that if people hear something that disturbs them, they should pick up the phone and call.  Mr. Kelley added that the newspaper never tries to get the other side.

 

4.                   Budget - $16,925,490

 

Anne Dumas will move the article.

Jim Murphy will second it.

 

Supt. Pike stated that in other districts he has been in, when the Budget Committee and the School Board do not agree on a number for the budget, then the Budget Committee makes the motion and seconds it.  Someone from the public or a Board member then makes an amendment and puts another number out there.

 

Mr. Enright wondered if the Budget Committee makes their presentation before the amendment is made.  Mr. Murphy felt that the Budget Committee would make their motion and presentation, then the Board would make the amendment and their presentation.  Mr. Enright stated that Mr. Belanger will know whom to call on from the School Board for the amendment.

           

Mr. Enright stated that the issue of apportionment will probably come up in Other Business.  Chair. Kirby responded that she was planning on doing an overview at the beginning of the meeting in which she would talk about vision, where the Coop is headed, goals of the administration, good things that have happened, and that the Board is going to form an apportionment committee.

 

5.                   Catastrophic Aid -

 

Steve Simons will move the article.

Tom Enright will second it.

 

6.                   Farley Building

 

Mr. Enright stated that the Town did not put this issue on their warrant.  He added that the Hollis School District was going to put it on their warrant and convey the property to the Town, but there is nothing on the Town warrant.  Mr. Simons added that the Town has something to accept it, but nothing to convey it.

 

Mr. Murphy pointed out that this is a non-monetary issue, thus a special meeting can be called if needed, without having to get State approval.

 

Mr. Murphy pointed out that as soon as the budget is voted on, a motion should be made in regards to reconsideration so the budget will be sealed.  Mr. Murphy will move to reconsider and Ms. Hall will second it.

 

Mr. Simons felt that the Board should still talk to the issue of the transfer of property.  He added that they will need a slide.  He felt that Forrest Milkowski may have a slide from the Middle School project.  He will check with him.

 

Mr. Enright stated that the District could accept the property at the next School District meeting.  Mr. Simons stated that if they wanted to pave the parking area, they needed to have it approved at this year’s District Meeting in order for it to be part of the Middle School bond.  He added that they wanted to get it paved by November.

 

Supt. Pike stated that they could explain to the voters that they needed approval.  They will need to explain that there could be a number of scenarios, however, they need the support of the voters in order to move forward.

 

7.                   School Start Time –

 

Dan Peterson will move the article.

Jim Murphy will second it.

 

This is to get a sense of the meeting to see if the voters want the Board to look into this issue or not.

 

The Board recessed at 6:35 p.m.